Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2014, 07:27:51 PM
1331754 Posts in 89629 Topics by 10034 Members
Latest Member: AMarlinpat
Home Blog Help Login Register
chinaadopttalk.com  |  Public Areas  |  Home with Baby (and big kids, too)  |  Puberty in Asian girls... « previous next »

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Puberty in Asian girls...  (Read 10081 times)
3xwaiter
Forum Moderator
Dragon Tamer

Sweet times three...

Puberty in Asian girls...
« on: July 13, 2008, 04:35:12 PM »

I've heard about some puberty things in Asian girls that are different than caucasian girls.  Just wondering if our RQers with girls closer to that age (or any Asian women here) would like to chime in...you don't have to share any scary personal stories.  LOL.

I've always heard is that there is much less body hair and that there is no need for deodorant in Asian girls around puberty.  Are those things true?  I'd love to smell like a rose all the time.   

Also, I've heard in general that some of our adopted girls can go through early puberty -- something to do with the lack of nutrition early on, and then the gigantic growth spurts experienced after adoption (and good nutrition).

I know in the grand scheme of things these items probably aren't that big of a deal, but I just want to be prepared and know what to expect.

3xw

3xw

dd1, 11, a. '03
dd2, 9.5, a. '05
dd3, 6.5, a. '08

Forum rules:
http://chinaadopttalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3.0
Nji13
Dragon Tamer

Re: Puberty in Asian girls...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 04:54:41 PM »

Well, let's see.

Very little hair to shave on my legs, which is fairly typical.  My Husband laughs when I say my legs are hairy if I don't shave them for a week.  He says, yeah, 12 hairs per leg is a real problem.   Laugh  Though one of my nieces in China is the opposite extreme as she has lots and lots of leg hair.  So you are going to see a range on this in Chinese women.   Arm pits, well I have keep those babies shaved for sure.   Laugh

In general Chinese women have very little body odor compared to westerners.  I have never used deodorant, and have never had to.  Most importantly, never had any complaints.   Laugh  TMI probably, but my husband says my under arm faintly smells like warm butter.   

I grew up in China before the modernization era, and in a time when food was very basic, with many items on permanent rationing (like eggs, milk, some meats, etc).  An era that was definitely no where near the nutrition levels westerners are accustomed to.  I started puberty at a little over age 12.  Of course none of the food was the product of modern agriculture either, no hormones, no fertilizers, etc. either.  I would be more expecting early onset puberty on a Western diet given how the food industry accelerates everything chemically.  I have not observed any of the young teenagers in my extended family in the US begin puberty before age 11 so far though.

Life is a fatal complaint, and an eminently contagious one.
  - Oliver Wendell Holmes
3xwaiter
Forum Moderator
Dragon Tamer

Sweet times three...

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 05:09:33 PM »

In general Chinese women have very little body odor compared to westerners.  I have never used deodorant, and have never had to.  Most importantly, never had any complaints.   Laugh  TMI probably, but my husband says my under arm faintly smells like warm butter.   

OK, I don't know if I should be really envious of all the money you've saved on deodorant, or cracking up at the mental image of your dh sniffing your armpits.     Just kidding...thanks for the really helpful insights.  Smiley

3xw

3xw

dd1, 11, a. '03
dd2, 9.5, a. '05
dd3, 6.5, a. '08

Forum rules:
finallybows
Steward

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 05:56:10 PM »

I have nothing useful to add to the discussion, but found it hilarious that the ad at the bottom of my page was for a "booty call."  What caused that, the armpit sniffing?  I knew I was out of it, but wow!
dunedin
Forum Moderator
Dragon Tamer

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »

On the hair topic......my dd is only 2.5 yrs. but she does not have ANY hair on her arms or legs.......not even 1 straggler or peach fuzz or anything.......is that usual or will she get some arm hair later?
3xwaiter
Forum Moderator
Dragon Tamer

Sweet times three...

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 06:55:17 PM »

I was almost afraid to start this topic because I was wondering what type of ads we might get.  LOL.

3xw

3xw

dd1, 11, a. '03
dd2, 9.5, a. '05
dd3, 6.5, a. '08

Forum rules:
AshleyR
Lord / Lady

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 06:56:46 PM »

OK, my Asian step family claim that they do not smell LOL and have little to know hair.  My stepbrother commented that Western women have a more pungent smell than what he was use to.  I have also heard this from other family members.  My neighbor's grand-daughter justed recently married a guy from China (beautiful wedding) and she says he does not need to wear deodorant either.  This is what they told me.
portlandval
Knight

Look and see.

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 07:18:20 PM »

eeeeewwww, YUCK on the advertisements that are showing up.

I am half Asian.  Puberty hit at 11 yo.  No hair on legs or arms...hardly visible.  But lots of pit hair.  Being half Caucasian I went through puberty about 1-2 years earlier than my Asian friends at school.  For some reason, my half-breed  body chemistry seems to have caused heavy duty body odor in puberty.  There was a rumor (not sure if true) that mixed race kids had bad body odor issues.  But, now come to think of it, maybe the rumor started because my Asian friends had NO body odor.  Thank goodness the B.O. problem has diminished except for if I eat too much garlic or onions.  Okay. I'm getting into TMI territory now.

LID 4/29/06 NSN
LOI 2/1/08 SN
LOA 5/1/08, rec'd 5/13/08
TA 5/28/08
Travel June 19-July 2, 2008
PSU97
Troubadour

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 08:33:14 PM »

This is an interesting thread because I've thought my now 22 month old could have used her legs shaved since we adopted her at 9 months!  She was covered in fine dark hair when we met her but most of that is gone now and attributed to malnutrition by our doctor.  THe leg hair remains Smiley
Nji13
Dragon Tamer

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 09:11:03 PM »

On the hair topic......my dd is only 2.5 yrs. but she does not have ANY hair on her arms or legs.......not even 1 straggler or peach fuzz or anything.......is that usual or will she get some arm hair later?

She likely will never have any then.  I have virutually no hair on my arms at all, and never have.

- Oliver Wendell Holmes
Platypus1928
Viscount / Viscountess

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 09:13:24 PM »

Great topic but the dating ads are freaking me out.

In an attempt to change the ads . . . Apple Dumplings, Red Eared Sliders and the Boston Red Sox. I hope it works.

DTC 3/23/07
LID 4/6/07
DOR 7/07
LOI 8/6/07 - at CCAA
LOA - 12/21/07
TA - 1/21/08 - Wonderful Day
CA- 2/21/08 - Even More Wonderful Day!
WFMG2005
Knight

Flower Child

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 10:17:15 PM »

This thread is both informative and funny!   Laugh  My daughter is 2.5 and doesn't show much body hair yet, not that I would have expected it.  But I will say that from the get-go she has had a slight monobrow, and someday she will be close friends with her waxologist, or ask for laser hair removal for her 13th birthday.  Bangs are her friend.   Laugh

Andrea
DS - 11 (sharing a large amount of genetic code)
DD - 5 (probably sharing some genetic code)
DS - 2 (sharing a large amount of genetic code)
daisiesinbloom
Dragon Tamer

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 10:33:43 PM »

In an attempt to change the ads . . . Apple Dumplings, Red Eared Sliders and the Boston Red Sox. I hope it works.

Ok this made me cry from laughing so hard. 

One of my good male friends is Chinese and I don't think he uses deoderant either.  I never noticed his body hair but he is bald.   

Home with our girl August 2009
Anhui Province
petnjay
Troubadour

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 10:41:22 PM »

I must have gotten the one furry child from China.  She had a mustache at 14 months, and the back hair is another topic altogether.  However, her arms and legs are nice and smooth.  She'll be getting a gift certificate to the waxologist before her first prom, if not sooner.

Interesting, I never noticed the ads and the way they coincide with the topic until this thread.  Now I know where to go to make a date with an Asian woman who uses Nair and Secret.
pinkpunch
Dragon Slayer

home!

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 10:43:12 PM »

All I could think of was SNL, "It's like buttaaaa!"

DD #1 - Home 7.31.2007
DD #2 - Home 2.28.2011
erenihan
Duke / Duchess

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 10:44:15 PM »

I must have gotten the one furry child from China. 

For some reason I'm picturing a cute, little monkey.

My daughters aren't furry, but their eyebrows are wide, if that makes sense.

Erica
Fuznik
Steward

Lilypad, our Wuxi girl

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 10:50:14 PM »

Great topic but the dating ads are freaking me out.

Ummmmm... Nope.  I copied it again to see if we can get ads about Red-eared sliders who are fans of the Red Sox and love apple dumplings.   Actually, other than the ads I've found this thread interesting.  It never ever occurred to me that there would be differences in puberty with my daughter.   

Teresa
LID 11/22/05
DOR 9/4/07
Family Day 10/29/07
jqiscoming
Lord / Lady

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 11:44:14 PM »

Well our DD now 20 months old and home for a year already smells pretty funky after she's been outside playing so I think she will be needing deodorant, unless something changes.  She has smooth arms and legs but has pretty heavy eye brows and some stray dark hairs (hopefully they will lighten up?) on her forehead. 
Nji13
Dragon Tamer

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 12:11:47 AM »

I must have gotten the one furry child from China.  She had a mustache at 14 months, and the back hair is another topic altogether.  However, her arms and legs are nice and smooth.  She'll be getting a gift certificate to the waxologist before her first prom, if not sooner.

Laugh  yeah, no moustache, but my daughter has a lot of little dark hairs on her upper back.  The Pediatrician assures me most of it will fall out or fade out as she grows, most likely as her blue spots fade as well.  My husband likes to point out that I have little dark hairs on my upper back too and that the daughter does not fall far from the mommy tree as far as he is concerned.   

- Oliver Wendell Holmes
KathyP
Forum Moderator
Dragon Tamer

KidP 32 months and me

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 02:26:59 AM »

I also have very minimal body hair. You'd have to look really close, in bright light, to see anything on my arms, and really close to see anything on my legs. And there really are about 12 hairs, which I'll shave every month or so. Sometimes if it's more convenient I'll just pluck them with the tweezers. Laugh

Armpits I shave everyday, though I don't think they're as hairy as non-Asian pits. But when you grow up in America, you just kind of get a complex about it, I think.

Body odor is, I think, minimal, but again, growing up in America I just use antiperspirant every day "just in case." On days where I might skip a day, I'd notice a smell, but nothing overpowering or bad. I'm not sure if it compares to warmed butter, but, I do kind of like the smell, or at least, don't mind it.

My brother is pretty much the same. Minimal body hair, and he says he has no BO.

LID January 2007
KidP born September 2007
BabyP born September 2011

Forum Rules: http://chinaadopttalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: