Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 07:53:59 PM
1348068 Posts in 90639 Topics by 10401 Members
Latest Member: MSykes
Home Blog Help Login Register
chinaadopttalk.com  |  Public Areas  |  General Discussion  |  Mooncakes « previous next »

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mooncakes  (Read 2280 times)
chagg12000
Troubadour

Mooncakes
« on: September 20, 2009, 01:46:31 PM »

Anyone know a good place to buy Mooncakes on line at a reasonable price?  I am wanting to purchase enough for my daughter to share with her Kindergarten class. 

4 Awesome Kiddos!
lincoln
Steward

Re: Mooncakes
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 02:12:59 PM »

Maybe mu family is the only one who thinis mooncakes taste awful? I would advise against giving them to Western kindergarteners. JMO and not what you asked. But your daughter may be hurt if they don't like them. I know my preschooler class would not eat them.

Tonya
chagg12000
Troubadour

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 02:16:39 PM »

Maybe mu family is the only one who thinis mooncakes taste awful? I would advise against giving them to Western kindergarteners. JMO and not what you asked. But your daughter may be hurt if they don't like them. I know my preschooler class would not eat them.

Your right some of them are different tasting, I am trying to steer away from the bean paste and get the Pineapple flavored ones.  They were selling them at my daughters Chinese school and I didn't get my order in, in time.  OOPS!

4 Awesome Kiddos!
lincoln
Steward

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 02:24:58 PM »

Pineapple does sound much better! Smiley

Tonya
strawberryshortcake
Dragon Tamer

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 03:34:02 PM »

I've had some quite yummy ones, and some not so yummy ones! My laoshi brought back from Dalian some that her mother made that were almost like fruitcake filling inside - chopped nuts, dried fruits etc - my picky, picky H loved them! I wish I could find them like that somewhere!

Peanut 02/2008 Hunan 10 months
Big Girl 11/2010 Jiangsu 9 years
Squish DTC 04/02/12 Guangdong 6.5 years
http://isoinsanity.blogspot.com
chagg12000
Troubadour

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 04:19:36 PM »

Success, I found Pineapple Mooncakes on line, here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.bostonbookshop.com/products.php?product=13

4 Awesome Kiddos!
Sherry in Vermont
Duke / Duchess

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 07:34:29 PM »

I think a lot of the reason many western kids don't like mooncakes is because they are often presented as if they are cupcakes... in China, one little mooncake will be cut into very small slivers and shared among a lot of people.

Try it! In slivers; I've found it is really and truly delicious, regardless of flavor and the kids love it!
WhereAreYouMommy
Troubadour

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 08:58:32 PM »

I was shocked (and happy) to discover that our local Costco sells mooncakes. There were two pallets, each almost 6' high, of tins filled with mooncakes. Made in Taiwan, ~$17 per tin. So you might try calling the Costcos in your area.
KIM1
Lord / Lady

Happily home with DD#1 and waiting for DD or DS#2

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 12:06:25 AM »

Success, I found Pineapple Mooncakes on line, here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.bostonbookshop.com/products.php?product=13

I just ordered them for family day!       We will go out for Chinese and then come home and have the Mooncakes for dessert.  I am excited to try them!      I hope my DD and the rest of the family like them.   

Kim

LID 1-27-2006
Referral 8-11-08
manxdjm
Steward

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 05:50:42 AM »

I buy my mooncakes and Koko Bakery in Cleveland, OH.  I like the lotus seed the best.  They also carry taro root and green tea mooncakes that appeal to westerners.  The original mooncake, as well as red bean, varieties are also available.  They use only fresh ingredients.  A Chinese man insisted that the only places in North America to buy good mooncakes was at this bakery, a bakery in Boston, and one in Toronto.  If you look them up on the web, give them a call, they might ship mooncakes.  They are small, however, I've shared them with my daughter's Chinese class and cut them into tiny pieces. 

LID 12/7/05
Ohio
lilybugsmom
Jester

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 10:32:08 AM »

My 4 year old daughter loves mooncakes, and I buy lots in season and stick them in the freezer so we can enjoy them year round.  Lily likes the green tea ones best, and I like the winter melon, nut and seed, or white lotus.  You can get them without the salted egg yolk and that is what we get.  I took some mini ones (1 1/4" in diameter) to Lily's day care last year, and most of the kids thought they were good. The red bean paste is our least favorite flavor.  I found some good bakeries in Chicago's Chinatown two years ago, but last year, I just got the tinned ones from several different companies at the local Asian markets, and if you have one of those in the vicinity, they will have a selection to choose from.
chagg12000
Troubadour

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 10:40:40 AM »

Thanks to everyone for all of the great ideas and suggestions!!

4 Awesome Kiddos!
chope
Jester

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 10:48:06 AM »

If you are in the Chicago area you can find them in Hmart in Naperville or Niles.  My sister in law gave us this weekend one beutiful small box with small moomcakes in the shape of flowers different fillings.  These were the best and nice looking mooncakes that I have tried so far considering that I have been married to my DH (Chinese) for the last 14 years....... Smiley
imdmom
Steward

LID 1/30/07

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 04:40:35 PM »

We got some from the local Asian bakeries in St. Louis but thought they were awful.  Don't know what flavor they were but they did have some type of melon in them.  Maybe eating slivers would be better.  Not sure I'm gutsy enough to try them again.
Anyone know of a good place to get them in St. Louis???
Thanks!
Nancy
LID 1/30/07
Remember, if you're going to get them for school, check on food allergies.  A lot of things are made with peanuts and I have a peanut allergy and  citrus allergy....those pineapple ones would NOT work well for me!  LOL!

sunny
Knight

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 04:59:30 PM »

Am I the only one who's favorite is the red bean paste? Love them and will be heading to my favorite Chinatown bakery for them this weekend...

LID 4/20/06
LOI 8/11/09
PA  8/25/09
LOA 9/8/09 signed but held for I-171H amendment
LOA 10/9/9 delivered to CCAA
TA 11/3/09
CA 11/4/09 (for 12/1
norademartino
Knight

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »

Any of the local Asian stores will have them! pineapple, nuts, red bean,taro, durian, you name it!

but perhaps my favorites by far are the ones with the nuts,lotus and the durian! durian is not for everyone some people complain of the smell but
I was pleasantly suprised with the custard flavor of the fruit! best of all : no smell!

it is all about tradition!

LID 7/11/2006

Count your Blessings,Not your Problems.
katienmaggiesmom
Viscount / Viscountess

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 08:44:39 PM »

I'll have to look...I had a recipe for "mooncakes" somewhere. They taste pretty good, but they're not quite like the ones from the bakeries. I forgot that I'll need to send DH to the Chinese market. We all go crazy for them...

Home with Katie, 7/22/05, from Hubei
Home with Maggie, 8/1/08, from Guangdong
A family complete
http://themamahood.com
stillhoping
Steward

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 11:02:10 AM »

I love red bean paste too!  I got mine from China Sprout, which is supposed to include a red bean paste one, but this year mine didn't have one. :(  It has black bean paste, which I don't like as well. 

Nancy - I'm in St. Louis too, we've talked in the past!  I don't know where to get them around here.  I wonder if that big Chinese restaurant out past Chesterfield will have some?  Not so much to sell, but to eat there anyway.  I think some of the Asian grocery stores along Olive should have them, but I wouldn't know which ones are better.

I-171H 10/28/06
LID 12/19/06!
MCC 9/09
matched 6/17/2010
LOI 6/19
PA 6/28
LOA 7/12
TA 8/5
travel 8/31 - 9/18
home 2 years now!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »