Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 03:55:47 PM
1331958 Posts in 89642 Topics by 10038 Members
Latest Member: LOkw
Home Blog Help Login Register
chinaadopttalk.com  |  Public Areas  |  Special Needs Discussion  |  Are minor/correctable needs adoptions going down the drain too? « previous next »

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are minor/correctable needs adoptions going down the drain too?  (Read 3026 times)
waiting4#3
Viscount / Viscountess

No longer waiting!

Are minor/correctable needs adoptions going down the drain too?
« on: December 28, 2009, 07:17:01 PM »

I know we're all fairly confident that NSN adoptions are going to be non-existent in a few years (they practically are now).  But, that China has publicly stated that they are focusing on SN adoptions and it's fairly safe to say that this program will be in existence for quite some time.  However, from the looks of things on the shared list and probably even individual lists, in the last 6 months or so minor/correctable needs have been declining (or at least not as many of these children are made available for adoption).  Do you think China is eventually only going to make children with more moderate to severe needs available for adoption and no longer allow the children with minor needs to be adopted?  Keep in mind I've only been in the "SN adoption world" for a few months, so what I think I'm seeing could be totally off.

C
waiting4#3
Viscount / Viscountess

No longer waiting!

Re: Are minor/correctable needs adoptions going down the drain too?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 07:19:45 PM »

I should have stated that the information I'm basing this thought off of comes from the SN director of my agency.  In the past she said the wait for minor needs such as ASD/VSD, CL/CP, limb indifference would be about 2-3 months, but now it's more like 6 months since she's not seeing as many of these needs on the shared list or receiving them on her individual list.

C
misscourtneyk
Dragon Tamer

<3

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 07:26:04 PM »

I don't necessarily think that SN children with mild needs are becoming fewer in numbers. It's just that there are many, many more adoptive parents that want those children, thus the wait is longer and the kids get snapped up right away. The number of parents that are willing to take on moderate/severe needs are much fewer, thus there are more waiting children in that category and wait times to get matched are quite small. It's all supply and demand. If there are 15 children on a list with mild needs and there are 100 families wanting a child with those mild needs (and they want a girl), then obviously the wait is going to be long for those families since there are just not enough kids to go around compared to all the families. But if there are 15 kids on a list with moderate/ severe needs and only 5 familiies willing to adopt them, obviously the other kids will wait longer and there will be more of them that don't get adopted. Hope that makes sense. If you want to adopt an infant girl with a mild need, good luck - so does everyone else! You'll be waiting a long time. It's not that those kids don't exist....it's just that everyone wants them! If you want a boy with moderate needs, you'll get matched fast, because not many PAPs want that

~ Courtney~
University of Alabama in Huntsville

Big Sis To
David (Korea, 2000)
Isaac (China, 2011)
Joshua (China, 2012)
jackjujam
Knight

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 07:47:09 PM »

What about a 3 or 4 year old girl with mild needs, not an infant?

LID 02/04/10
LOI 10/04/11
misscourtneyk
Dragon Tamer

<3

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 07:54:59 PM »

What about a 3 or 4 year old girl with mild needs, not an infant?

The wait for an older girl with mild needs would certainly be shorter than infant girl. A lot of people want an infant only (18 months or younger). So you would have a much better chance with a 3-5 year old girl with mild needs.

~ Courtney~

Big Sis To
David (Korea, 2000)
Isaac (China, 2011)
Joshua (China, 2012)
waiting4#3
Viscount / Viscountess

No longer waiting!

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 08:29:08 PM »

I don't necessarily think that SN children with mild needs are becoming fewer in numbers. It's just that there are many, many more adoptive parents that want those children, thus the wait is longer and the kids get snapped up right away. The number of parents that are willing to take on moderate/severe needs are much fewer, thus there are more waiting children in that category and wait times to get matched are quite small. It's all supply and demand. If there are 15 children on a list with mild needs and there are 100 families wanting a child with those mild needs (and they want a girl), then obviously the wait is going to be long for those families since there are just not enough kids to go around compared to all the families. But if there are 15 kids on a list with moderate/ severe needs and only 5 familiies willing to adopt them, obviously the other kids will wait longer and there will be more of them that don't get adopted. Hope that makes sense. If you want to adopt an infant girl with a mild need, good luck - so does everyone else! You'll be waiting a long time. It's not that those kids don't exist....it's just that everyone wants them! If you want a boy with moderate needs, you'll get matched fast, because not many PAPs want that

Yes, you make sense and I see your point.  But, my agency's SN director specifically said she is seeing less children (boy and girl) with mild SN on both lists.  She even listed those specific SNs that I listed earlier.  Also, I'm not sure there are that many more people switching to SNs now than there were a year ago.  The NSN backlog/slow down has been happening for 4 years now, not just the last 6 months.  I am just wondering if China is thinking they can now provide for more of the SN children as they can their "NSN" children.

C
misscourtneyk
Dragon Tamer

<3

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 08:46:42 PM »

I think that might be true to some degree, as well. Of course, that is just one agency. To get an accurate picture of the number of mild SN kids up for adoption, you would have to contact all the agencies to find out what their individual lists are like. Perhaps it is just your agency that is getting less mild SN kids. But I do think that, if Chinese were to adopt SN kids domestically, they would definitely go more for the mild SN kids.

~ Courtney~

Big Sis To
David (Korea, 2000)
Isaac (China, 2011)
Joshua (China, 2012)
Matmoa
Lord / Lady

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 08:53:38 PM »

Our agency's sn's coordinator has also mentioned that they've seen fewer minor sn's kids on the shared lists over the past few months, but she also admits that it could be that they are locked in so quickly that they aren't always aware of their existence in the first place.  I asked her if she thinks that it's a new trend by the CCAA not to place as many minor needs kiddos on the list, and in her opinion, she felt it was too early to tell.

However, having said that, our agency still matches a dozen+ kids with each shared list release who have needs that I personally would consider minor.  Yet even within the needs you listed, there are varying degrees.  Do you mean ASD/VSD's of less than 3mm that will most likely not need surgical intervention?  By limb difference do you mean a missing finger or two missing arms?  There is an 8 month old baby girl who has been on the shared list since the release on December 1st who has congential heart defects and limb difference of both upper limbs.  We were just matched three weeks ago with a 10 month old boy with a huge VSD/ASD that it turns out was already surgically corrected.  

For those hoping for what I refer to as a "non-special need special need", and want a female, under the age of 2 years old, I can imagine the wait could stretch out for a long time, although agencies are still matching these types of children if they're aggressive and happen to be in the right place at the right time.  I agree with misscourtneyk in that over the past few months there has been an increase in the number of agencies participating in the shared list, many of whom have clients all asking for the same type of child.

Fifth adoption from China:
LOI 4/24
DTC 5/20
LID 5/23
LOA 6/14
I-800 7/3
Hague doc. drop off: 7/24
Article 5: 7/29
TA: 8/1
Trav:8/15
waiting4#3
Viscount / Viscountess

No longer waiting!

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 08:57:03 PM »

matmoa, could you please PM me your agency, just to make sure we aren't talking about the same one.  Thanks!

C
waiting4#3
Viscount / Viscountess

No longer waiting!

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 09:08:57 PM »

However, having said that, our agency still matches a dozen+ kids with each shared list release who have needs that I personally would consider minor.  Yet even within the needs you listed, there are varying degrees.  Do you mean ASD/VSD's of less than 3mm that will most likely not need surgical intervention?  By limb difference do you mean a missing finger or two missing arms?  There is an 8 month old baby girl who has been on the shared list since the release on December 1st who has congential heart defects and limb difference of both upper limbs.  We were just matched three weeks ago with a 10 month old boy with a huge VSD/ASD that it turns out was already surgically corrected. 

cl/CP

Yes, I agree "minor" is subjective depending on differing opinions.  No, I did not discuss what she meant, but I would assume small ASD, 1st degree or even repaired CL/CP, and partial missing limbs.  But, I don't know.  I wish I had thought to ask her, but we were discussing many things in the conversation.  This whole process is just so overwhelming.  We feel like we just can't do anything "right".  You know what I mean!   

C
misscourtneyk
Dragon Tamer

<3

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 09:33:13 PM »

waiting4#3 -    I know the process is CONFUSING and overwhelming!!!

I think matmoa hit the nail on the head - there are some people who want a 'non-special needs' special needs child. They really want a a fast way to get a NSN infant girl. As a result, the wait for a mild SN baby girl is LOONG.  Also, once the shared list comes out, some agencies are so on the ball that they pounce on the list right away and lock all the baby girls with mild SN's because they KNOW they'll have no trouble matching them with their families. So, by the time other less aggressive agencies get to the shared list, a lot of those kids are gone and the only ones left are the boys or the moderate/severe/older SN girls.

~ Courtney~

Big Sis To
David (Korea, 2000)
Isaac (China, 2011)
Joshua (China, 2012)
missmaria
Troubadour

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 09:48:01 PM »

Am I right in thinking that agencies are only suppose to lock files with a specific family in mind? I thought that just going through and locking files that they consider "good" wasn't the way it is suppose to go. Maybe I am wrong....
luckymama2two
Dragon Tamer

Sweet Sisters

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 10:08:12 PM »

Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day.  I regularly peruse the both the shared SN list and our agency's specific list and it seems to me there are very few children with what I would consider minor special needs.   Most children seem to be in the moderate to severe category.  I, too, wonder if China is targeting their adoption program to be not just SN but moderate-plus SN. 

DD #1 a. China [Guangxi] March 2005
DD#2 a. Vietnam [Thai Nguyen] June 2008

www.twentyfoursevenlife. com
waiting4#3
Viscount / Viscountess

No longer waiting!

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 10:12:14 PM »

Am I right in thinking that agencies are only suppose to lock files with a specific family in mind? I thought that just going through and locking files that they consider "good" wasn't the way it is suppose to go. Maybe I am wrong....

I think you're right.  In fact, I think the agency has to actually put the PAPs name into the system before it will lock the file for the 48 hour time period.  Now, does it mean THAT PAP is the only person with that agency that can actually view the file?  I don't know.

Thanks for the hugs misscourtneyk.  It's nice to know there are other BTDT PAPs who understand the aggravation of IA.  I think we're actually fairly open to some SNs that others aren't, but there seems to be an obstacle at every turn.  Oh well, when our child is in our arms it will all be worth it!

C
misscourtneyk
Dragon Tamer

<3

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 10:12:44 PM »

Technically, agencies aren't supposed to lock files until they have a specific family who wants to adopt the child. But not all agencies operate this way (at least back when we were matched in March 09). 

~ Courtney~

Big Sis To
David (Korea, 2000)
Isaac (China, 2011)
Joshua (China, 2012)
missmaria
Troubadour

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 10:21:29 PM »

Agencies should try and be as fair as possible. All these lovely children need homes and there shouldn't bo competition. As PAP, as well as the agencies, we should want the children to find the right home!
jmsmommy98
Viscount / Viscountess

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 10:26:05 PM »

Agencies must put in a specific family's name to lock the file, and the LOI must come from that family.   Then, that agency may not re-lock that file for another family in their agency for 2 more weeks.  That is how it was this fall.

as far as what we were seeing and what our agency told us.  A female under the age of 4 with minor needs was the most sought after.  MANY more 3-4 year olds were being adopted, and were "snatched" up as quickly as the infants.

Mom to
DS, 11
DS, 7
DD, 4, adopted 12/2007, Kunming
DD, 2, adopted 6/2010, Nanning
Matmoa
Lord / Lady

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 10:36:36 PM »

Agencies must put in a specific family's name to lock the file, and the LOI must come from that family.   Then, that agency may not re-lock that file for another family in their agency for 2 more weeks.  That is how it was this fall.

That is how my agency said it works.  They lock in for a specific family.  If that family does not send the LOI, or they send it and then change their mind, the file is unlocked and cannot be locked in by the same agency for two weeks.

I think what misscourtneyk was referring to when talking about the more aggressive agencies is that they can, indeed, lock lots of minor sn's, young females for specific families because they have so many families wanting that type of child.

Fifth adoption from China:
LOI 4/24
DTC 5/20
LID 5/23
LOA 6/14
I-800 7/3
Hague doc. drop off: 7/24
Article 5: 7/29
TA: 8/1
Trav:8/15
waitngforhunter
Knight

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 10:51:37 PM »

We are adopting a baby boy (he was 12 months at the time of LOI).  We thought he had unrepaired bilateral cleft lip and palate.  When we got our first update we realized his lip had been repaired.  On our second update we found his palate was already repaired.  He will need some dental work since his cleft goes through his gums, but otherwise he is very healthy.  He is already talking at 14 months now and they do not even think he will need speech therapy.  That will be something we will have to figure out later I guess.  To us this is a very mild need.  He was on our agencies individual list. 

LID 9/12/07 
LOI 11/3/09
PA 11/12/09
LOA 12/2/09
TA  1/4/10
CA 2/3/10
gotcha: 1/25/10

http://www.etsy.com/people/ShannonsSugarFree
jmsmommy98
Viscount / Viscountess

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, 10:57:04 PM »

I think what misscourtneyk was referring to when talking about the more aggressive agencies is that they can, indeed, lock lots of minor sn's, young females for specific families because they have so many families wanting that type of child.

Well, we're with one of the agencies that are able to match quickly off the shared lists - possibly considered one of the more aggressive agencies because they do match so many.  They do follow the rules and will only lock in a particular file for specific family (they said they had to put in the name of the family).    They are so successful with it because they have a great in-China liason who does their matching, and she watches for the shared list.  She also types FAST I've been told.   

Mom to
DS, 11
DS, 7
DD, 4, adopted 12/2007, Kunming
DD, 2, adopted 6/2010, Nanning

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: