Recovering from bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction

(1/3) > >>

FromChinawithLove:
Hi, it's been a very long time since I checked in here. My apologies, but I have been focused on my two beautiful little girls, now 7 and 4 while dealing with a diagnosis of non-invasive breast cancer. Well, two weeks ago I underwent a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy with immediate DIEP reconstruction. It was a grueling operation (14+ hours) with a few complications. Anyway, I am fine now and home recuperating. I am wondering if there are any other China Moms out there who have dealt with this issue while parenting young children. Even though I am home now and they can see that I am okay, they still can't hug me or cuddle with me due to the incisions and the ultra-sensitivity of my chest/abdomen. I am looking for tips to help my kids (and me) through this period of adjustment.

Thanks,
Joanie
http://www.breastcancermom.blogspot.com

waitingforcelia:
I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this, but glad to hear you're recuperating.  I haven't experienced this, but a very good friend of mine did about a year and a half ago.  Her twins were just over two at the time.  I'd be happy to put you in touch with her.  PM me if you're interested.

guangximom:
Joanie,

No doubt your girls are just relieved Mommy is home.  I think many times the children are better equipped to deal with this stuff than grown ups are - we know too much.  Best of luck and wishing you a speedy recovery. I just did the Relay for Life this past weekend, and it's the people like you I admire so much.  ::hug::

dianefinn:
I've got nothing but support to offer.  What a brave decision you have made!  In my opinion,  BIDMC is the best hospital in the world!!  You're in wonderful hands!! Best of luck to you!

Diane

natismom:
Glad to hear you are recovering :hearts:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page