Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 10:08:47 AM
1341364 Posts in 90201 Topics by 10249 Members
Latest Member: carrie_irene
Home Blog Help Login Register
chinaadopttalk.com  |  Public Areas  |  Travel Tips  |  China Southern « previous next »

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: China Southern  (Read 549 times)
Sora
Troubadour

China Southern
« on: July 21, 2010, 07:18:18 AM »

Has anyone flown with this airline? If so, what was your experience? and did you fly economy or discount business?

LOI: 4/28
LOA: 5/10
I800: 5/28
I797C: 6/4
NVC Letter: 6/11
Article 5: 6/24
TA: ?
CA: ?
solita
Knight

Re: China Southern
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 09:04:07 AM »

I have *lots* to say about China Southern! Bottom line, I won't fly with them again.

I'll repost here what I posted in a different thread about CS:

We flew premium economy on China Southern, and you do gets wide seats and lots of leg room. But our plane was really shabby and dirty. We lost an engine several hours into the flight out over the Pacific, and instead of taking us to Alaska (which was closer), they turned the plane around and landed us in Osaka. We were in Osaka for 9 hrs while we waited for a a mechanic to fly to us from Guangzhou. They put us back on the *same* plane, which did not seem very reassuring! Obviously, everyone missed their connecting flights in LA. We were stranded there overnight and had to finally fly into a city in a different state than we intended, and my dad had to drive there to get us.

What should have been a 20 hr trip took 66 hrs. With a sick toddler. No one ever once told us what was going on during the whole ordeal, and we were given false or misleading info by China Southern at least twice that we know of for sure. My dad worked for an airlines for 36 years, and I grew up flying a whole heckuva lot (because it was free). If it wasn't for the fact that he was able to get into the systems to see what was going on, and if it wasn't for the fact that I was able to call him from a pay phone on Osaka (yeah, that wasn't cheap), we never would have known what had happened or why we were suddenly dumped in Japan. My dad said it was completely irresponsible for CS to have flown us hours and hours back to Japan on only one engine and not a lot of fuel, instead of going the shorter distance to Alaska. But apparently, they did it to save money on where their mechanic would have to fly to fix the plane.

Obviously, accidents and mechanical problems happen to every airline, but based on the way the personnel handled things and treated the passengers (mostly adoptive families with babies and toddlers), and gave us no info when things went wrong, we won't ever being flying with them again.

Oh, and the food was very, very bland. But the Osaka airport is super nice!

Guangdong Girl
Family Day  April 2, 2007
Guangdong Boy
Family Day December 20, 2010
co
Knight

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 09:41:44 AM »

Wow - thats crazy.  We flew them twice and loved them.  In 06 and then just got home 2 weeks ago. Both times the planes were fairly new and clean.  We flew PE (Premium Economy) the first time both ways.  Our recent trip we couldnt get PE on the trip up so flew coach, then PE on the trip back.  We loved them and would definately use them again.  But I would recommend PE.  Its worth it and not that much more $$$ on our trips.

PA 10/18/10 & 1/04/11
DTC 3/11/11
LID 4/8
LOA 5/13
I800 Approval - 6/9
Cabled - 6/17
NVC - 6/22
Art 5 - 7/12
TA - 8/4
CA- 9/6
Sora
Troubadour

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 09:52:36 AM »

Thank you! i think i have heard that they have newer planes.

catherinethegreat
Forum Moderator
Dragon Tamer

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 09:56:31 AM »

Wow - thats crazy.  We flew them twice and loved them.  In 06 and then just got home 2 weeks ago. Both times the planes were fairly new and clean.  We flew PE (Premium Economy) the first time both ways.  Our recent trip we couldnt get PE on the trip up so flew coach, then PE on the trip back.  We loved them and would definately use them again.  But I would recommend PE.  Its worth it and not that much more $$$ on our trips.

Me too..I flew to far western China from Beijing on China Southern with my seven year old ..and we loved it! This was ONLY a month ago (June).  They spoke English, the food was good and we also flew Premium Economy...and it only cost about 20$ more than the regular fare I think...fabulous!

daisydoodle
Forum Moderator
Dragon Tamer

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 10:02:07 AM »

Wow - thats crazy.  We flew them twice and loved them.  In 06 and then just got home 2 weeks ago. Both times the planes were fairly new and clean.  We flew PE (Premium Economy) the first time both ways.  Our recent trip we couldnt get PE on the trip up so flew coach, then PE on the trip back.  We loved them and would definately use them again.  But I would recommend PE.  Its worth it and not that much more $$$ on our trips.

I agree.  The PE was sooooooooo worth it and I don't think I could have flown coach on that trip.  I don't sleep well on planes and fidget around.  The food left something to be desired, but on the way I was too nervous to eat and on the way home I was too busy with the baby to eat.

The day we met our little lady: 10.24.2006

Bio baby boy born: March 6, 2009 (itty bitty baby)

http://www.thehappymomma.blogspot.com/
cintishan
Troubadour

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 10:21:38 PM »

we also flew Premium Economy...and it only cost about 20$ more than the regular fare I think...fabulous!
[/quote]

Seriously? WOW, we were told it would cost over $500 extra for mine AND my daughter's ticket, so we opted not to do it! What's up with that travel agent??? I know you're out there!!! I WANT PE, but NOT for $500 each! I also read on China Souther's website that it costs the same, but that it's first come, first served availability.
Sora
Troubadour

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 09:41:53 AM »

Thanks so much everyone! We booked on Korean Airlines. Found a flight and we grabbed it. Of course, huge prices this time of year. Appreciate all the responses.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: