Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 01:51:43 PM
1343949 Posts in 90390 Topics by 10306 Members
Latest Member: SenoritaStuart
Home Blog Help Login Register
chinaadopttalk.com  |  Public Areas  |  Travel Tips  |  Things to buy in Guangzhou « previous next »

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things to buy in Guangzhou  (Read 4153 times)
Waiting2BAmom
Troubadour

Things to buy in Guangzhou
« on: June 06, 2007, 11:21:08 AM »

I've heard of folks getting stone etchings of pictures in Guangzhou and I'd love to do this. For those who've BTDT recently, where did you purchase yours? Also, is there anything particular to by in China that you DO NOT want to wait until you get to Guangzhou to purchase (besides child-specific province stuff)? And squeaky shoes - where in Guangzhou is the best place or is every store about the same?

Thanks!

Leaving in 20 days!
mcginnisc
Lord / Lady

Lilly and Karli 10/5/08

Re: Things to buy in Guangzhou
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 12:53:48 PM »

waiting:

Hey there! Congrats on leaving so soon!! It's exciting, isn't it? 1. Take a deep breath 2. Enjoy the process 3.Shop, shop. shop... it's super cheap!!

We had a chop done for Lillian at The Ladybug Corner. (Maddy did it and she is at a stand directly outside the store) I bought some dresses in there for 50% off and they were around $5 US after the discount. We also had a picture done of her name using animals. They do it by the letter and it was about $36 for 2 pictures. One was for my niece whose name is Ellie and the other was Lillian.

I bought pearls, had dresses made,squeaky shoes by the bundle, a jacket, pjs for hubby, and BIL all at Jennifer's Place. The dresses were for myself and the rugrat and they were $64US or $440 yuan. The pearls were around $25, and the shoes are $3 US at JP. Everywhere else they were $4 or more. There is a great shop called Gift from China and it is on the back road by Jenny's Place. If you go to Andy's and turn left it will be down on your left. There is a tan sign out front. It is run by a British woman that has adopted from China. All the goods are made by orphans that won't be adopted, so all proceeds go to the orphans. I bought Lilly 4 bracelets(pearls and silver), my MIL a photo album, and for myself- table runners, bible bag, and a pendant that says Mother/Daughter on it.

There was a shop by Andy's that I bought a set of pearls/cloissone for $8. Luna is the girl that made them for me. I had her make a longer necklace and earrings for me. I also bought my Mah Jong set there for $14 US!! My mom paid $100 here in the States for hers. At Jordon's I got a tea set with lillies on it for her when she gets older. I think I spent $20US. Dh bought some scented wooden fans and pedestals for $8 a set.

I shopped alot while we were there. We were in GZ for 2 weeks, so I had plenty of time!LOL

Have fun shopping and have a safe trip!

Claire

Claire
dh Heath
Lillian Lin...DOB: 11/5/05 home 4/14/07
Karli Rose...DOB 8/4/08
kev
Troubadour

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 04:21:09 PM »

You will find that most of the places on the island have many of the same items, so shop around.  As for squeaky shoes, we everywhere has them but we thought that Sherry's Place had the best selection.  We bought the vast majority of our stuff at Michael's Place and really enjoyed working with him and his wife better than anyone else.  He has two shops - one by the river just past Lucy's (if you are going from the White Swan, walk past Lucy's, through the park a little, and you will see his store).  Michael's other shop is about a block away from the 7-11 that is across the street from the Victory.  We thought he did an excellent job on the chops we ordered there.
Leeann
Jester

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 09:39:32 PM »

I got the best squeeky shoes at Jennifer's, and only bought a couple more pair that she did not have at some of the other shops.  You will have time to scan all of these shops if you are there for even only a few days as they are not very big.  Michael' s is a great great place to get your chops made.  Peter is by far the best made to order snuff bottle painter if you have a picture of someone you would like to have painted inside one.  I found that the pearls I bought outside of Guangzhou are much nicer than the ones I bought there IMHO.  Have fun! 
Leeann
hunanspicygirl
Lord / Lady

Sweet Ellie~ our second Hunan spicy girl!

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 10:34:35 PM »

A Home of Love is the BEST. It's across from the White Swan and they have everything. Stella is so nice. Make sure to ask for her!

Speaking of stores, I heard Gift from China was closing... is this true? We never saw it and were so sad about that...

3 big kids &
DD (12) a 6/2010
DD (6) a 12/2006
DS (5) a 6/2010
DD (4) a 10/2008
DD (18 mos)
LID 3/31/10
LOI 5/29/11
LOA 11/24/11
hikinglorax
Dragon Tamer

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 11:51:40 PM »

Speaking of stores, I heard Gift from China was closing... is this true? We never saw it and were so sad about that...

We never saw it either

We liked Jordans and Michaels for almost everything.  We got a granit etching at Sherry's Place and it turned out great-they need a couple of days to do it so order it early when you get there.  A Home of Love had the best selection of silk outfits, especially for boys.  Alot of the stores have the same stuf at about the same price although we found spmething unique in almost every store.  Check our lots of stores to get a variety of squeaky shoes- the styles were often alittle different between stores (some only had sandals, some only leather, etc)
Also for Jade jewelery go to the jade market that is off the island.  Bargaining there was great and I got alot for about half what I expected to spend

Big(13), Middle(9), Little(7, Shaanxi) Baby(5, Ethiopia)
www.pullthisblogover.blo gspot.com
mcginnisc
Lord / Lady

Lilly and Karli 10/5/08

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 09:26:38 AM »

My MIL spoke to the owner of Gift from China and the lady was telling her that if the gov't gets their way, then a lot of the stores will be closing.. Jennifer's, Sherry's, Stella's, and all the others on that side of the street. That includes Gift, Jenny's, and the other one next to Jenny's. It would be sad.. those are some of the best shops... (Jennifer's, Sherry's, and Stella's)

Claire

Claire
dh Heath
Lillian Lin...DOB: 11/5/05 home 4/14/07
Karli Rose...DOB 8/4/08
Waiting2BAmom
Troubadour

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 10:31:59 AM »

I guess the store closing rumor makes sense since the White Swan is renovating to attract more business customers than adoptive families as their primary clients. Since the majority of shops around the White Swan are geared towards adoptive families, then Guangzhou would probably want that to change too. Sad :(

Thanks for all the great info on shopping in Guangzhou!
dawnk
Viscount / Viscountess

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 11:30:41 AM »

I am sad that I didn't buy a "Province doll."  I'm not sure what to call them - the ceramic dolls uniquely designed for each of China's Province's.  My DD is from Hunan.  At the time I thought it was too expensive and would be hard to fly home with. I thought I could find them online once we got home.  I don't know what I was thinking!

So if anyone is going to China and is willing to pick up a Hunan doll for me, pm me!  Especially if you live in MN!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: