Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2014, 06:56:38 AM
1347338 Posts in 90585 Topics by 10385 Members
Latest Member: MSPPEK
Home Blog Help Login Register
chinaadopttalk.com  |  Public Areas  |  Q & A  |  How do you pronounce Guangzhou? « previous next »

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do you pronounce Guangzhou?  (Read 7423 times)
wishing4199
Steward

How do you pronounce Guangzhou?
« on: November 05, 2010, 08:13:05 AM »

I was under the impression it was Guang rhymes with swan and zhou was like joe. Dh's uncle is visiting, and he travels to China several times a year, and lived in Hong Kong for about 9 yrs. He corrected me and said the ending wasnt joe, but like j+owww? He has been there a number of times and even stayed at the White Swan, but I really didn't think that was the right pronunciation, help!

Mama to a bunch of great kids
www.amountainawaits.com
lengthywait
Lord / Lady

Re: How do you pronounce Guangzhou?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 08:40:15 AM »

LID 03/2008 NSN
DD 03/2010; Jiangsu
DS 07/2013; Jiangsu
PattyP
Viscount / Viscountess

Finally at home with our gorgeous toddler

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 08:44:57 AM »

I am not a native speaker, but from what I have been studying, the way you describe the pronounciation is correct. That is, it's correct  in  Mandarin...

In Guangdong they speak Cantonese (or Guangdong hua!), and this probably makes the prounouciation of it different. So maybe your dh's uncle is referring to that way of saying it. I know a number of Chinese people, and a few are close friends, and I can safely say they all have different accents/pronounciations when they speak, so I dont' understand any of them..(ok, that may be due to my very limited Mandarin... Laugh)

We have been referred the most beautiful girl in the world.

LID 12 Sept 06
misscourtneyk
Dragon Tamer

<3

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 09:17:07 AM »

The way you are saying it is right.....that is how everyone we met in China pronounced it.

~ Courtney~
University of Alabama in Huntsville

Big Sis To
David (Korea, 2000)
Isaac (China, 2011)
Joshua (China, 2012)
CSB
Knight

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 08:51:20 PM »

We live in Guangzhou. I've never heard a Mandarin or Cantonese speaker pronounce it as an "oww" instead of an "oh". The only people I have heard do that are foreigners who speak no Chinese at all  Happy

Living in Guangzhou since 2006
Our blessings:
DD through US domestic adoption 9/08
DS through US domestic adoption 2/12
truly blessed
Count / Countess

Our lock on the Great Wall

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 07:24:06 AM »

Our exchange student is from Guangzhou -- he always refers to Guangzhou as "Canton"!

Heh.

Mom to one college graduate, two in college, two beautiful daughters in 3rd & 2nd grades, plus a "bonus son" from China -- crazy busy and lovin' it!
mkkoverman
Steward

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 01:02:16 PM »

We meant with two Chinese ladies this weekend and they mentioned that Hong Kong has its own Chinese dialect that is a not the simplified Mandarin dialect. They said Hong Kong has a more complicated dialect. Maybe this is why your husband was pronouncing it different. My BIL  works closely with businessmen from Hong Kong and he also pronounces it the wrong way or to them I guess its the right way  .

I800A- 8/4
Matched date 8/23
LOI 8/25
PA-8/30
DTC- 8/31
LID-9/7
LOA-10/1
I800-10/22
NVC-10/29   Letter11/1
A5 11/18
TA12/9
CA 12/27
12/20
PattyP
Viscount / Viscountess

Finally at home with our gorgeous toddler

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 12:34:26 PM »

There are hundred if not thousands of dialects in China. In HK they speak the Cantonese dialect (or Guangdong hua), on the main but also others too.

Mandarin was/is the Beijing dialect which, given that it's from the capital (and other reasons, no doubt) has become the language that everyone learns to speak at school, so in effect, everyone speaks Mandarin as well as their own local dialect.

'Simplified' refers to the characters of the Chinese language, which are the same for ALL dialects, hence people can communicate, if they don't speak Mandarin, and even if they don't speak the same dialect, because the written form is the same, irrespective of how it is pronounced. Characters were simplified 30 years ago or more for ease of learning, though the Chinese diaspora and Taiwan still use the full characters.

End of lesson..... Happy

We have been referred the most beautiful girl in the world.

LID 12 Sept 06

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: