Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 03, 2014, 01:57:49 AM
1343998 Posts in 90393 Topics by 10308 Members
Latest Member: BHardwick
Home Blog Help Login Register
chinaadopttalk.com  |  Public Areas  |  Travel Tips  |  I LOVE the Holiday Inn Shifu « previous next »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I LOVE the Holiday Inn Shifu  (Read 3112 times)
66BookMom
Knight

Re: I LOVE the Holiday Inn Shifu
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 08:13:23 AM »

Is there a couch in the exec room with two double beds? We are going to be a family of six in one of those rooms with the two double beds and one cot! We understand the hotel will only allow three beds total in a room. We're going to be very close, but hopefully we will be so exhausted we won't care how much bed space we have!!!
gieadopt
Jester

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 04:53:13 PM »

We were 1 week in the WS and 1 week in the Shifu (Just got back November 1).  We had to move because of price changes due to the Trade Fair.  We LOVED the Shifu compared to the WS.  Room was not an executive suite, but 3 times the size of our WS room (really nice corner room).  Beds were so much better, so was bathroom.  Our agency negotiated internet access as part of the cost and we used it daily.  I liked the breakfast buffet better too.  The only thing better at the WS was the fitness facility - lot's more equipment there.  The only drawback of the Shifu was the ox stomach stew you could always smell when leaving the ground floor lobby.  It was easy enough to hold your breath for a few seconds to avoid that.  I thought it was also nice to get out of the western cocoon of the Island and see a little bit of the more real Guangzhou each day. 

Gieadopt

1 DS Home 2007
1 DD waiting - Guangdong
LOA: 7/28/10
I-800: 8/13/10
TA: 09/23/90
Home: ?
http://fromchinatocarolina.blogspot.com/
nw030608
Dragon Slayer

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 07:37:02 PM »

.  The only drawback of the Shifu was the ox stomach stew you could always smell when leaving the ground floor lobby.  It was easy enough to hold your breath for a few seconds to avoid that.  I thought it was also nice to get out of the western cocoon of the Island and see a little bit of the more real Guangzhou each day. 

Oh gosh! We were there in April and I don't think they had this ox stomach stew being served!! Yikes! I'm SURE I would have remembered!!
Nicole

Nicole
DS, adopted on 04/11/10
Bao'an SWI, China
DD......
Sora
Troubadour

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 04:09:40 PM »

I loved Shifu too! the breakfast buffet room with the fish pond running through it is so beautiful! and the beds v. comfortable and rooms so nice. v. much felt vacation like. was just there in august with dh and ds toddler getting our ds toddler boy.

LOI: 4/28
LOA: 5/10
I800: 5/28
I797C: 6/4
NVC Letter: 6/11
Article 5: 6/24
TA: ?
CA: ?
66BookMom
Knight

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 11:29:03 AM »

Does anyone know off-hand what the typical rate for rooms are? Regular room vs. the the executive room with extra perks. Thanks!
nw030608
Dragon Slayer

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 12:20:06 PM »

Does anyone know off-hand what the typical rate for rooms are? Regular room vs. the the executive room with extra perks. Thanks!

In April for our week prior to Trade Fair the King Studio Suite with Executive priviledges (breakfast, internet in room, free snacks, drinks in lounge) was $100 per night.  Then during Trade Fair it was $300 per night, but we knew that going into this...
Nicole

Nicole
DS, adopted on 04/11/10
Bao'an SWI, China
DD......
66BookMom
Knight

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 12:16:11 PM »

We are having trouble figuring out how to make a Holiday Inn reservation! I called the 800 number and was given a $118 rate with no breakfast that could be cancelled or a $119 rate with a $20 coupon for breakfast that was non-refundable advance purchase. The online I see "deluxe" rooms for much less, around $74/night. Is DELUXE the same as EXECUTIVE?

Also what is the price for breakfast if we have to pay on our own? The 800# rep said children do not eat breakfast free outside of the U.S.
66BookMom
Knight

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 04:32:14 PM »

Okay, I'm going to answer my own question for the sake of others! I just learned (Holiday Inn reservations) that the deluxe and executive rooms are two different type rooms. I think "business deluxe" goes together and "Executive concierge" goes together. The new reservationist showed that breakfast was included in my reservation, even though the initial reservationist told me otherwise. Sorry for the confusion.

The business deluxe room is about $45 cheaper -- so the question for anyone making a reservation is to decide if that extra is worth the perks of the executive.

Also we were told the rollaway bed was 600rmb!!! That's an extra $90USD per night which sounds insane to me. The executive room has a sofa whereas the business does not. Hoping one of our crew can sleep on the sofa to save $$$ on the rollaway.

Am I nuts to have two parents and four children in the executive room?! I can't fathom having to pay for two rooms.
gksmith
Troubadour

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 05:00:17 PM »

Well, I'm going to chime in although I haven't stayed at the Shifu. We will be traveling in a few months and I just knew we would be staying at the Garden again, which I LOVED. But, now with all of the loving the Shifu, I'm thinking maybe that's where we'll stay. We will have 5 people in one room and are going to have to make that work. If we could get an executive room with two full beds and a couch, that should be good. I did see where you can order a blow up mattress for $30 that will be delivered to the hotel. If we stay at Shifu, I'll have to go back to see where the good places to eat are! We had already found all of that out near the garden!

Mom to three biological children, a daughter from Hefei and a daughter from Wuhan.
neg58
Dragon Slayer

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 05:51:14 PM »

Am I nuts to have two parents and four children in the executive room?! I can't fathom having to pay for two rooms.

A lot of the hotels in China will not allow, no way no how, more than 3 people in a standard room.  On my adoption trip, one family brought along a teen family friend and also their 4 year old.  They had a suite in province but at the China Hotel were required to have 2 rooms.  On our Heritage tour, it was my 2 daughters and me and we always had 2 beds and a roll-away, but the other families, with 2 parents and 2 kids, had to have 2 rooms.  Thems was the rules, and even OCDF couldn't get an exception.

There were millions of rules about the number of towels you could have too.  I'm used to America where I often use all the towels in the room and then some, but the hotels provided 1 towel per person.  Want a new towel?  Turn in your old one.

Many people book suites because it's cheaper than 2 rooms.

Nancy
66BookMom
Knight

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2010, 06:36:28 PM »

We might be interested in knowing how to order the air mattress. If someone knows that link, please share! I wonder if one could be purchased in GZ and/or a sleeping bag?

As for the # of people in the room, we have in the reservation a note about our children and wanting to be in one room. The 800# reservationist told us the technical maximum but understood our desire to stay together as a family. I KNOW larger families have all stayed in one room at the Holiday Inn Shifu, but I don't know if it was not noticed or if was allowed or what.

From what I understand the suites in the Holiday Inn only have king size beds. That might be when air mattresses come in...
nw030608
Dragon Slayer

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2010, 08:32:42 PM »

There were millions of rules about the number of towels you could have too.  I'm used to America where I often use all the towels in the room and then some, but the hotels provided 1 towel per person.  Want a new towel?  Turn in your old one.
Nancy
I did not find that towel situation at all at Shifu this past April.  We had 3 full sets of towels left in our bathroom each day (even the 3 days we were there just 2 of us before we got our son) and on most days I called housekeeping and asked for additional towels or would ask the lady at the cleaning cart and they would happily give them to me.  No issues whatsoever.
Nicole

Nicole
DS, adopted on 04/11/10
Bao'an SWI, China
DD......
soon2b4
Troubadour

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2010, 10:01:36 PM »

We were thinking the Garden as well but now ......we have to re think it.  We will be 7- 3 adults and 4 kids so I think too many for a suite
But we would at least need connecting rooms.  Has anyone travel with 7 ? 
66BookMom
Knight

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010, 08:15:19 PM »

Just popping in to say that we now also officially LOVE the Holiday Inn Shifu! We are relieved to report that our family of six is in one room on the executive floor (13th floor) without any extra bedding! One of our sons is sleeping on the couch which is more like a "plat" of cushions that can be moved onto the floor if desired. Two adults and one toddler in one bed is doable...not the most comfortable experience, but when you are sleepy, you sleep! We would rather save the money by not having to pay for another bed, not to mention another room!!! All this to say, I'm sure there is no guarantee a family this large is "allowed" in one room. When we made the 800 reservation from the States and the reservationist put in the note that we had four children even though technically the system would not allow those numbers to be plugged in. The 800 agent simply put in two adults and then the note. We then paid in advance with the 800 number to save I think $15 per night and there was no refund if we cancelled. In a way, we felt it was almost like a contract if we needed to explain it. But my husband walked up to the check-in desk while the rest of us were in a lounge area and said "wife and four children" and they didn't blink. We were prepared to have a rejection though. Our guide did call ahead for us to be sure we would not have trouble checking in. I don't know what was involved with that, but aside from the money savings, it was VERY important we be in one room together. When we were in province we were across the hall and I don't think that was very good for our new son's confusion. As for breakfast, we were given four breakfast vouchers per day and would have to pay for two more. HOWEVER, we get two "snacks" a day in the concierge for breakfast and "happy hour" -- but the snacks are definitely meals. A mini-buffet of fruits, cheese, meats, dimsung, dumplings, desserts, drinks, french fries, pastries, eggs to order. All six of us are welcome there. We truly will not need to eat dinner out anywhere. We did pay an upgrade per night to be on the executive floor, but it more than makes up for it in meal savings.

We walked to the island yesterday with no problem. And that's my report!
strawberryshortcake
Dragon Tamer

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 10:07:11 PM »

The Shifu was nice. We had a huge room - once we moved. I will say though we liked the Holiday Inn Aqua City in Nanjing MUCH MUCH better. Overall, a pretty good hotel - just lots of little stuff that really grated on my nerves once I hit the "I want to go home" phase, and the "I got sick off of something a breakfast" the last day phase.

Here's issues we had:
They didn't have our adjoining rooms.
We had to move the next day to get them, and then only they could offer it on the smoking floor.
The breakfast buffet was ALWAYS out of stuff...like...no waffles for the kids kinda out. 1/2 way thru breakfast the pastries were picked over and not refilled.
Try to get a hot cup of tea  at breakfast there was impossible! Absolutely impossible - you'd beg for one for 20 minutes and when you got it, it was stone cold.
Apparently, some rooms on the 6th floor don't come with a clock. You ask for one and the answer is "we don't have them in all rooms".
We were FREEZING. Which was hilarious, as we were BAKING at the Aqua City...like, turned the room thermostat up to 30 and then off and we were still freezing - including the husband and kid that are always hot.
They gave us a broken cot for A...and then "fixed it" even though it was laying at a 30 degree angle downwards and walked out.
In general, the Holiday Inn's have a window behind the tub to the room - with a blind in it. Seems nice on paper cause you get some natural light, not much, but some in the bathroom...AND you get a TON of light at night if someone wants to go pathroom over the nighttime. Wakes everyone in the room up.

But both hotels had decent buffets. The Aqua City one was amazing. Absolutely wonderful. And the rooms, if you didn't get the tiniest rooms on the floor like we did at the beginning at Shifu, are huge and the connecting of the rooms worked great for us - 2 parents, toddler, frandma picking up 9 year old. But there are some serious service issues that you can run into.

Peanut 02/2008 Hunan 10 months
Big Girl 11/2010 Jiangsu 9 years
Squish DTC 04/02/12 Guangdong 6.5 years
http://isoinsanity.blogspot.com
nw030608
Dragon Slayer

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2010, 09:46:03 AM »

In general, the Holiday Inn's have a window behind the tub to the room - with a blind in it. Seems nice on paper cause you get some natural light, not much, but some in the bathroom...AND you get a TON of light at night if someone wants to go pathroom over the nighttime. Wakes everyone in the room up.
I thought that large window in the bathroom above the soaking tub was a bit odd.  However, our blind worked perfectly, so that it closed completely.  When someone got up during the night, light did not show through into the bedroom area.  In fact, one evening while DH was putting our son to sleep, I sat in the bathroom doing paperwork and DH said they didn't notice the light at all.  Apparently how well the blind works must vary room to room.
Your experience at the breakfast buffet is so different from ours and we were there 17 days.  I guess it goes to show that the service there is not consistent.  Our experience was as soon as we were seated each morning they asked if we wanted tea or coffee and promptly brought it to us (usually one of us headed up to the buffet and when we got back to the table the coffee and tea were there).  They were always replenishing things when we were there (bacon, sausage, waffles, pastries, fruit like cantaloupe and watermelon).  One thing I did learn quickly was that to tell the egg chef that I wanted my eggs/omelette "well done" meant nothing to him - he thought I was giving him a compliment on his cooking Laugh instead I had to say "fully cooked."  My DH and DS loved the congee and the noodles to order (that was at the right of the egg chef). 
We had a clock in our room, but I had packed one as I had heard that most hotels in China do not have clocks. 
The Nanjing Aqual City Holiday Inn sounds fantastic!
Nicole

Nicole
DS, adopted on 04/11/10
Bao'an SWI, China
DD......
laessigs
Troubadour

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2010, 10:44:02 AM »

Random question - do the rooms come with a hair dryer and clothes iron?
nw030608
Dragon Slayer

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2010, 01:17:59 PM »

Random question - do the rooms come with a hair dryer and clothes iron?
YES!! I do have to say that I had trouble finding our hairdryer in our bathroom at Shifu.  There was a shelf below the bathroom counter that slid out (well, like a drawer with no front or top, so I guess that's a sliding shelf).  Could have been the jet lag, but that first night, I got out of the shower and looked and looked and had to call DH in to help me locate it!!
Nicole

Nicole
DS, adopted on 04/11/10
Bao'an SWI, China
DD......
strawberryshortcake
Dragon Tamer

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2010, 08:08:06 PM »

I thought that large window in the bathroom above the soaking tub was a bit odd.  However, our blind worked perfectly, so that it closed completely.  When someone got up during the night, light did not show through into the bedroom area.  In fact, one evening while DH was putting our son to sleep, I sat in the bathroom doing paperwork and DH said they didn't notice the light at all.  Apparently how well the blind works must vary room to room.
Your experience at the breakfast buffet is so different from ours and we were there 17 days.  I guess it goes to show that the service there is not consistent.  Our experience was as soon as we were seated each morning they asked if we wanted tea or coffee and promptly brought it to us (usually one of us headed up to the buffet and when we got back to the table the coffee and tea were there).  They were always replenishing things when we were there (bacon, sausage, waffles, pastries, fruit like cantaloupe and watermelon).  One thing I did learn quickly was that to tell the egg chef that I wanted my eggs/omelette "well done" meant nothing to him - he thought I was giving him a compliment on his cooking Laugh instead I had to say "fully cooked."  My DH and DS loved the congee and the noodles to order (that was at the right of the egg chef). 
We had a clock in our room, but I had packed one as I had heard that most hotels in China do not have clocks. 
The Nanjing Aqual City Holiday Inn sounds fantastic!
Nicole

I had NO complaints at all about Aqua City except that we roasted in the rooms...and that odd window. The rooms were clean, and good sized, the beds were nice, the  bathrooms didn't have any black gunk around the raised bowl sinks like in the Shifu, it was right next to a large western shopping mall that gave us access to some easy eating, and down the street from some good Chinese restauratns and a market area. As an extra bonus - I noticed when they cooked their bacon (I'm not a crispy girl, but I can't do the almost raw Chinese bacon) they cooked 1/2 on the griddle "chinese style" and then the egg guy made sure to leave the other 1/2 on and flip it and cook the other side for us Westerners!

In the Shifu, I think that my husband had to flop around on the floor like a carp one day to get more french toast. And there was never enough syrup or anything. And we both got sick the last day from something we ate there. H will always say it is her favorite place though cause of the fish in the restaurant pond.

Oh, and some rooms don't have scales either. Which is critical with the whole luggage thing. I was able to harrass them to get one of those though!

Peanut 02/2008 Hunan 10 months
Big Girl 11/2010 Jiangsu 9 years
Squish DTC 04/02/12 Guangdong 6.5 years
http://isoinsanity.blogspot.com
laessigs
Troubadour

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2010, 09:21:28 PM »

Does the HI Shifu have any indoor pools?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: