Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 01:43:55 PM
1347695 Posts in 90601 Topics by 10390 Members
Latest Member: FibiAsh
Home Blog Help Login Register
chinaadopttalk.com  |  Public Areas  |  General Discussion  |  How many shopped on Thanksgiving Day? « previous next »

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How many shopped on Thanksgiving Day?  (Read 503 times)
jasonsmom
Dragon Slayer

How many shopped on Thanksgiving Day?
« on: November 27, 2010, 07:22:14 AM »

I guess I never really paid attention before.  I was shocked at how many stores are open on Thanksgiving.  I supposed I can see Walmart taking advantage of the people who start standing in line at midnight but I really don't understand the stores openng at 7 am on Thanksgiving.  While it may have been convenient since both DH and I were home, I wouldn't go to a store that day.  When I went to the mall yesterday I heard some clerks complaining that Walmart in our town wasn't open all day on Thanksgiving the way the commercials said it would be.  They should have put a disclaimer in the commercial that hours are based on what the town or city allows.
mia08
Lord / Lady

Re: How many shopped on Thanksgiving Day?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 09:27:17 AM »

sweetbay (a grocery store) was open and we ran in to get pills cinnamon rolls for breakfast.  but that was it.  we go to the movies thanksgiving night almost every year.

mmoct1
Dragon Slayer

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 10:49:55 AM »

What I thought odd was the Dollar Stores open on Thanksgiving. What kind of deals could they be giving to be worth being open - everything is already a dollar.
kms
Dragon Tamer

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 12:31:50 PM »

What I thought odd was the Dollar Stores open on Thanksgiving. What kind of deals could they be giving to be worth being open - everything is already a dollar.

Thank you. Well needed giggle.

Kristine
3xwaiter
Forum Moderator
Dragon Tamer

Sweet times three...

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 12:35:53 PM »

I refused to go to any stores on T-giving, just based on principle.  I think the employees should be home with their families, and the rest of us can do without buying anything for one day!  Smiley

A couple years ago dh saw someone get their fingers broken on black friday at a circuit city due to unruly crowds.  Since then I don't even go out on black friday, although dh did venture out yesterday. 

3xw

3xw

dd1, 11.5, a. '03
dd2, 10, a. '05
dd3, 7, a. '08

Forum rules:
http://chinaadopttalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3.0
curlylockz
Forum Moderator
Viscount / Viscountess

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 01:29:12 PM »

I didn't, but I have no issue with it. I probably should have for no other reason than to get me out of the house for a little while. My husband cooking dinner was driving me nuts.

Not everyone has friends/families to spend time with (or they don't want to) and having shops open may give them a diversion from sitting home and dwelling on that fact. I would imagine there is also no shortage of employees willing to work for the same reason (or for the extra holiday pay, if applicable).

LID 12/5/05 NSN Referral 11/5/07 Gotcha 1/21/08 for #1 - Qichun, Hubei
LID 6/10/09 SN Referral 12/13/11 Gotcha 4/12/12 for #2 - Nanyang, Henan
neg58
Dragon Slayer

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 01:54:20 PM »

K-mart has been open on Thanksgiving for years.  Why not?  Most of the workers are probably thrilled to have the extra hours in these hard times.
  Most grocery stores are usually open most of the day, until 6 pm or so.

When we lived on the east coast we had traditional football games to go to, but we don't live there anymore.  For some years we did a Turkey Trot or something like that.  But mostly we just watch TV and sit around, so who cares if we go shopping instead?

My daughter and I just sat around all day.  We would have gone shopping but I thought the stores closed at noon and Old Navy was really open until 8. Not everyone has Norman Rockwell thanksgivings.

Nancy

jasonsmom
Dragon Slayer

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 01:47:30 PM »

Not everyone has Norman Rockwell thanksgivings.

I'm well aware of that; I went through a bad time myself years ago and had several very tough holidays.  I knew staying by myself was a bad idea so rather than go shopping, I had set up to volunteer at a soup kitchen.  There are a lot of things you can do on holidays (and other times of the year of course) that would be helpful to others although most do require forethought.  Nursing homes love visitors and there are people there who never get any.  I talked to a couple people who worked retail this Thanksgiving and were irate over it but felt that given the times, they couldn't risk fussing about it.

I'm glad our town didn't allow Walmart to be open all day.  I couldn't care less if they open late at night but I think (and this is totally just my personal opinion and everyone is entitled to their own) that they should be closed on Thanksgiving Day so those who want to be with their families, friends or anyone else for the holiday, can be.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: