Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2014, 05:03:14 PM
1348946 Posts in 90709 Topics by 10439 Members
Latest Member: pinkpearlgirl
Home Blog Help Login Register
chinaadopttalk.com  |  Public Areas  |  Travel Tips  |  China Hotel Marriott or Holiday Inn Shifu - Any insight?? « previous next »

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: China Hotel Marriott or Holiday Inn Shifu - Any insight??  (Read 851 times)
wilb
Jester

China Hotel Marriott or Holiday Inn Shifu - Any insight??
« on: June 20, 2011, 03:17:05 PM »

Has anyone stayed at either the China Hotel Marriott or the Holiday Inn Shifu in Guangzhou?  I have seen info about the Holiday Inn, but not the China Hotel Marriott.  Just looking for some been there, done that info!

Thanks so much!
Wendy

JenT
Steward

Re: China Hotel Marriott or Holiday Inn Shifu - Any insight??
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 04:58:03 PM »

We were at the China Hotel in March and LOVED it!  We didn't for a second regret staying off the island.  The breakfast buffet was amazing...seriously, I woke up every morning for a week after we got home longing for that buffet!  The staff was wonderful - there are several that are US natives.  Any time we had a request our needs were met very quickly.  The room was a little on the small side, but very nice.  The bed was very soft & comfy - which I sorely needed after the plywood bed we had in Wuhan.  There's a McDonald's right next door & a 7-11 just a block or so away.  Starbucks is inside the hotel.  We splurged one night and had dinner at the steakhouse inside the China Hotel - fabulous!  It's also within walking distance to a great Chinese restaurant that our guide took us to twice.  We took a taxi over the Shamian Island the day before we left to do some last minute shopping (we had already been with our group twice) and the taxi ride was less than 10 minutes and only 20 RMB - which at that time was less than $4.  There are some pictures of our room on my blog if you want to see our room - www.waitingforchloegrace .blogspot.com  We were just there in March.

JenT - mom of 5
Jarod - 16
Madison - 15
Jason - 13
Chloe Grace - 10 (Chongqing, home 2008)
Sophia - 5 (Wuhan, home 2011)
miles2mia
Steward

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 01:26:28 PM »

I was at the China Hotel May 23rd and 24th and again May 31st- June 3rd. I absolutely loved it!!!  I stayed in 2 other hotels during my adoption trip and the China Hotel was by far the BEST. The beds are amazing. The rooms are very clean. The convenience of having the Mc'D's, Starbucks and the 7-11 were awesome. The mini-bar Coke was 30 yuan...the 7-11 Coke was only 3!! Needless to say we stocked our room with snacks from 7-11 and didn't touch the min-bar.

If you join the Marriott Rewards program (easy, fast, free and can be done at check in) you get free internet access in your hotel room. Getting to the island was fast, easy and inexpensive. The breakfast buffet was outstanding. About a dozen different breads and pastry, a station for freshly made waffles and french toast, a ton of fresh fruit, a smoothie station, lots of western items and another section for more Asian cuisine. We couldn't wait for breakfast every morning...it was THAT GOOD!

We had one little hiccup where they put my sister and I in a king bed during our first two nights even though we'd reserved 2 doubles. Since we were only staying those 2 nights and then leaving for Nanchang to get my daughter we didn't make them switch our room. But they assured us it would be corrected upon our return. Well, there was a screw up and it wasn't. And there were no empty rooms in the whole place with double beds when we checked in again. But they ended up giving us a suite for our entire 4 night stay at the same price as a consolation!!  My sister and I ended up in the same bed....but when you see the room it was totally worth it!

There are pictures of the hotel on my travel blog www.finallymia.blogspot. com. Just scroll back to the dates I mentioned above.   

Krista
LID 6-14-06
DOR 4-5-11
Proud mommy of Mia Renee Ying
Born 10-9-10
Tonggu SWI, Jiangxi
http://www.finallymia.blogspot.com
JenT
Steward

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:48:55 PM »

Ditto on the mini bar...I called the front desk and asked them to send someone to empty the fridge so we could buy stuff at 7-11 and keep it in there.  Someone from housekeeping was at our door within 5 minutes and empty the entire fridge into a pillow case and took it with her.

JenT - mom of 5
Jarod - 16
Madison - 15
Jason - 13
Chloe Grace - 10 (Chongqing, home 2008)
Sophia - 5 (Wuhan, home 2011)
LKT
Knight

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 02:14:32 PM »

Ditto on the mini bar...I called the front desk and asked them to send someone to empty the fridge so we could buy stuff at 7-11 and keep it in there.  Someone from housekeeping was at our door within 5 minutes and empty the entire fridge into a pillow case and took it with her.

I would have never thought of this - thanks for the great tip!
jnford10
Troubadour

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 06:10:46 PM »

We were just at the Shifu a few weeks ago and really liked it!! Our room was huge! It was like a one bedroom suite and it had a little mini kitchen. We were also on the executive floor so the lounge was right down the hall. It was nice to just walk down to the lounge whenever we wanted a drink. They also served breakfast and had some apps around dinner time. I know you can walk to the island from the Shifu but we decided to take a cab which was really cheap. The hotel is also on the pedestrian street which has lots of shops with tons of lights. There is also lots of "American" places (McDonald's, Papa Johns, etc.) to eat within a 2 minute walk. The bed was also nice and soft!!! We really enjoyed our stay there. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jessica

LOI 9/13/10
PA 9/16/10
LID 12/22/10
LOA 2/24/11
ART 5  4/11
TA 4/20
nw030608
Dragon Slayer

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 07:51:22 PM »

We were just at the Shifu a few weeks ago and really liked it!! Our room was huge! It was like a one bedroom suite and it had a little mini kitchen. We were also on the executive floor so the lounge was right down the hall. It was nice to just walk down to the lounge whenever we wanted a drink. They also served breakfast and had some apps around dinner time. I know you can walk to the island from the Shifu but we decided to take a cab which was really cheap. The hotel is also on the pedestrian street which has lots of shops with tons of lights. There is also lots of "American" places (McDonald's, Papa Johns, etc.) to eat within a 2 minute walk. The bed was also nice and soft!!! We really enjoyed our stay there. Let me know if you have any other questions.
WHAT WAS YOUR ROOM NUMBER? We have HEARD of people who had a mini kitchen in their suite.  I want to make a note of this for our next trip !!
Nicole

Nicole
DS, adopted on 04/11/10
Bao'an SWI, China
DD......
jnford10
Troubadour

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 12:43:39 PM »

I totally don't remember our room number. I just called my husband and he doesn't remember either. We were on the same floor as the executive lounge if that helps at all.

Jessica

LOI 9/13/10
PA 9/16/10
LID 12/22/10
LOA 2/24/11
ART 5  4/11
TA 4/20

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: