Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 06:34:15 PM
1348030 Posts in 90637 Topics by 10399 Members
Latest Member: fancyvalley97
Home Blog Help Login Register
chinaadopttalk.com  |  Public Areas  |  General Discussion  |  Help--broke jade bracelet! « previous next »

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help--broke jade bracelet!  (Read 3434 times)
ChocolateChips
Knight

Help--broke jade bracelet!
« on: October 05, 2011, 10:20:02 PM »

Is there anything that can be done to repair/salvage a jade bangle once it has been broken?  It was a very expensive bracelet, but it's the sentimental loss that is really bothering me (bought it in China when adopting my daughter and intended to pass it on to her when she was older).   
ourlittlelamb
Knight

Re: Help--broke jade bracelet!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 06:31:47 AM »

I don't have advice, but am  over your bracelet!  I had a (cheap, bought on Shamian when we adopted DD#1) jade pendant with the characters for mother & daughter break last spring and was so sad.  I have gotten a replacement which I like a lot, but it is just not the same.  The sentimental value is the real value. 

BTW,how did you break the bangle?

Happily home with our daughters!
Olivia YuTing, 13, adopted. 3.1.11 @ 10 yrs. old (Hunan)
Anna-Kathryn BoDi, 6, adopted. 9.16.08 @10 mos. (JiangXi)
Mom2girls
Viscount / Viscountess

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 09:39:25 AM »

get a new one. Nothing can be done, sorry.
grace4me
Knight

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 02:11:59 PM »

Maybe take to a jeweler and have gold or sklver bands for hing or clasp on the broken side and hinge on the other side?

How did it break? I wear mine almost all the time and DH says to be careful or it will break...I always say oh no it won't--but now you have me thinking!

Grace 4 Me
mkraudy6
Knight

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 07:44:50 PM »

I agree -- take it to a jeweler. It will cost you but you could have a hinge put on one side and a silver band around the other -- you could even maybe put the silver bands in a few places spaced out if the break isn't totally even in half. I think you can figure something clever out to keep it!

Home April 9, 2010 with our sweet daughter from Baoji, Shaanxi
www.myoverthinking.com
ChocolateChips
Knight

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 09:26:43 PM »

Thank you for the suggestions!  I think I will check in with a jeweler to see if gold/silver can be used to piece the bracelet back together--that is such a great idea, and I hope it works!  It is supposed to be the "good" jade so I thought it was pretty indestructible, but it broke into 4 pieces when I swung my arm down and it caught the edge of a table.  I never took it off so not sure if other little bumps along the way had weakened it and I just didn't realize it?  My wrist has felt so naked without it.  Thank you so much again for the great idea! 
SSRoe
Jester

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 09:52:34 PM »

the jeweler option seems to be the only one you have.  I also broke a very important one bought when my BIL went to my daughter's  birth city and bought it for me.  loved it.  But dropped it and it broke.  too fragile.  very upset.  I had hoped to pass it on too...but really how awful would it be if I saved it for so long and then one day she was 40 and broke it then SHE would feel awful when really it is a hard thing to do to keep a jade bracelet from breaking?  (that is what my husband said to make me feel better). But now that you are suggesting the jeweler connecting the pieces then my plan to pass it on might still be attainable.  We'll see.  On the other hand, my MIL also has one of the jade bracelets I was also given and she never wears it....maybe I'll steal hers the next time I'm in town! ha

I asked our guide about the broken jade and she said that of course jade can break, but when it does the chinese have a saying that it must have broken to protect you from something awful that was about to happen. 

Shay

Shay
DH:  Chad
DD#1: b)8/31/04 a) 6/12/05 jiangxi
DD#2: b)11/16/10 a) 7/10/11 jiangxi
www.roedemeier.tumblr.co m 
password:finally

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: