Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 04:07:29 AM
1343923 Posts in 90389 Topics by 10306 Members
Latest Member: SenoritaStuart
Home Blog Help Login Register
chinaadopttalk.com  |  Public Areas  |  Special Needs Discussion  |  Question about agencies transferring files « previous next »

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about agencies transferring files  (Read 430 times)
MommySG
Knight

Question about agencies transferring files
« on: November 03, 2011, 12:30:23 PM »

I recently saw a child on an advocacy blog, and was told that the child was specific to an agency. I think it's a pretty small agency since I've never heard of them before and they only work in three states.  But this child has stolen my heart!  However, we are already with another agency so I doubt there is much hope for us to be able to bring this cutie home.

This got me wondering about agencies transferring files. Mostly what I've heard from parents on here is that most agencies will not transfer, although a few will. This leads me to a few questions:

- When agencies won't transfer, is it at all because they are not allowed to? I mean, can it really be that the only reason agencies won't transfer is because they hope to make some money off of placing the kid themselves, even if they don't have families who have stepped forward?  Or is there something more complicated going on, like some CCCWA rule, that makes it difficult or prohibitive to transfer files? 

- Has anyone successfully gotten an agency to transfer a file to the agency you were already working with, and if so, can you share how you did it?

- Has anyone anywhere compiled a list of agencies that WILL transfer files?

- For agencies that do transfer, what is it about these agencies that make them willing to transfer when others will not?

I'm trying not to get my hopes up about being able to pursue this child, but it's hard when the child seems like the perfect match for our family!
shamrocker67
Knight

Birth is an act of nature, Adoption an act of love

Re: Question about agencies transferring files
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 12:44:45 PM »

Some agencies will transfer - I know of a couple that do that I have spoken with however they told me they offer the child to their waiting familes first and if no one is interested only then will they transfer the file so it cannot be a CCAA rule.

DD #1 from Hubei
DD # 2 waits in Shaanxi
DTC With LOI 9/7
LID 9/19
LOA 1/9
800 approval 1/26
Cabled 2/3
Art 5 drop off 2/3
Art 5 P/u
Back ho
out4abit
Steward

www.lilliefamily.blogspot.com

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 03:22:51 PM »

This is heartbreaking.

We have been with 2 agencies. They are both small and both say they will not create an agency specific list.

They say they will not create an 'agency specific' list (or 'hold SF children') because they felt they then owed it to the children to place them. They really felt that they did not have the means to 'market' (I hate that I used that word but not sure how else to say it) the list to adoptive parents. 

I see some agencies on RK have tons of the kids (one or two in particular). I am guessing they go onto the list each month and pull kiddos off of the SF list quickly. And I can't help but guess that they do that to attract clients that they would otherwise not get.  On the flip side, they are also obviously spending time and energy advocating for a child so I am not sure if it is entirely selfish.

All of that said, I am interested to hear why agencies won't transfer a file if they have had it for a while. It just breaks my heart to think of a child sitting for longer then they need to b/c the parent was with the 'wrong' agency.

DD #1, 5, DD #2, 2.5 yrs (Yunnan - Jan/'12)
DS #1, 6 mos, DS #2 (waiting in Jiangxii)
LOI - 7/29
PA - 8/1
LOA - 8/17
bub1722
Troubadour

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 03:32:07 PM »

We had our file transferred from an agency. It took a little negotiating but they eventually gave the file over to our agency. Our agency was already dealing with our first adoption. We didn't want to transfer our first adoption over to the second agency so we persuaded them to give us the file. They only have the file for 90 days then it is available to all agencies.
5arrows
Knight

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 03:41:04 PM »

This is heartbreaking.

We have been with 2 agencies. They are both small and both say they will not create an agency specific list.

They say they will not create an 'agency specific' list (or 'hold SF children') because they felt they then owed it to the children to place them. They really felt that they did not have the means to 'market' (I hate that I used that word but not sure how else to say it) the list to adoptive parents. 

I see some agencies on RK have tons of the kids (one or two in particular). I am guessing they go onto the list each month and pull kiddos off of the SF list quickly. And I can't help but guess that they do that to attract clients that they would otherwise not get.  On the flip side, they are also obviously spending time and energy advocating for a child so I am not sure if it is entirely selfish.

All of that said, I am interested to hear why agencies won't transfer a file if they have had it for a while. It just breaks my heart to think of a child sitting for longer then they need to b/c the parent was with the 'wrong' agency.

Can they do that?  I didn't realize this was possible.  My agency has a lot of kids on RK that they are designated by a specific province because of the work they do in this province on behalf of orphans.  I think it is really sad too if kids are just sitting on a list because an agency won't transfer their file. That is awful.

Four sons and a daughter from Henan.
Home 3-25-11
joyandsun
Troubadour

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 04:13:28 PM »

We did have a file transferred.  We made sure that there were no families interested in the file at the agency holding the file, and then our agency actually contacted the CCAA directly to ask if they would transfer the file, as they had a family ready to send in LOI.  I felt comfortable doing it this way, as it left the final decision up the the CCAA whether to transfer the file or not.  If they had not been willing to transfer the file, I'm not sure what we would have done.  We did not ask the holding agency if they were willing to transfer the file, as we felt that they were really not the ones ultimately responsible for the child's file, the CCAA is.  Others have said they feel it's best to have agency directors work that out between themselves instead.

That said, I did get some strong opinions against doing things the way we did on here when others heard about it, FYI.  I would ask your agency what they think and how they would handle this situation.

Good luck figuring out what you want to do!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: