Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 25, 2014, 07:59:24 AM
1340961 Posts in 90176 Topics by 10232 Members
Latest Member: Moigidovoge
Home Blog Help Login Register
chinaadopttalk.com  |  Special Interest Groups  |  Single Parents  |  Question about adopting a 5-6 year old « previous next »

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about adopting a 5-6 year old  (Read 1714 times)
Lab Mom
Jester

Question about adopting a 5-6 year old
« on: December 20, 2011, 04:57:16 PM »

Question for moms who have adopted children in this age category. What is done about schooling? Can the child be enrolled in kindergarten even though they have not learned English? Or do they stay home with mom or family member (if mom has to return to work) and learn English before they can attend school? Anyone know how this typically works?
tulip
Steward

Re: Question about adopting a 5-6 year old
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 05:44:59 PM »

Are you in the US? US public schools are required under federal law (as a result of a Supreme Court ruling, I think Lau vs Nichols), to provide ESL services to students who need it. Talk to your district or school and see what services they provide, because the services will vary. But even if your child is the only ESL student in the entire district, the district must provide ESL services. If you'd like to post or PM me your state I can tell you if I know anything about it (around 20-30 states have adopted the same ESL standards and tests).
threeruds
Steward

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 06:31:58 PM »

I adopted a 5 year old and kept her out of kindergarten for a year.  Sent her to pre-k instead.  I chose a non-academic pre-k.  She got to learn how to play and speak english.  I have no regrets.  She is now an average to above average student.  If I had started her in kindergarten at age 5 I am certain she would be a below average student.
Lab Mom
Jester

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 07:13:01 PM »

I'm in Florida. I didn't realize holding them back a year was an option too. Thanks for your help!
doc33
Dragon Slayer

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 07:22:36 PM »

I don't think that legally they have to start until they are 7.  DD was 5 at adoption.  SHe was adopted in May, so she stayed close all summer, then did prek in the Fall, and K the next school year.
BUT if you do want them to go ahead and start school, yes, they can regardless if they speak English yet.  They will more than likely start them in ESL, and get special help under an IEP plan.

LOI-10-28
PA- 11-03
LID-3-18
LOA-6-10
1800-6-24
Cabled-7-1
Art 5- 7-21
TA-8-4
CA-8-30
Singwith3
Steward

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 08:14:24 AM »

As far as the rules for age of enrollment, you really need to check with you State Ed deptartment and/or district.  I am in China now adopting my daughter (who is amazing by the way) and she was just 6 in December. I was contemplating enrolling her in a non-academic Pre-K program for the exact reasons one of the previous posters stated.  When I spoke to my school district, they said that was fine, Kindy wasn't mandatory, but if I held her back, she would have to go straight to 1st grade. THAT was not an option to me.  So far I think that I am going to enroll her in Kindergarten after she has settled in a bit with the expectaion that MY goal is that she learn English and that she learn the rules of being in a classroom.  We will re-evaluate the plan in June, but I want her retained so she can repeat Kindy next year, once she has more english.  I know she will chronologically be one of the oldest kids, but I dont care.  I would rather her be the oldest than have her experience a lifeteime of academic stuggles. As it is she is tiny...she is in a size 4t and she weighs 30 pounds so it wont be like she stands out as a second year kindergarten student. All of this may change if she blows us out of the water once she is home, but being flexible is the key.  But ELL services are mandated for every English Language Learner in our State.

BTW, those of you considering older child adoption.....she is beyond amazing and I would (but won't) do it again in a heart beat!!!!!  But keep in mind, even though they are "older" their emotional age is much younger. She is 6 but is active and testing like a 3 year old would.  She is smart as a whip, already picking up English words in 5 days that I have her and is cute as a button. I sure we will have our ups and downs, but I am thrilled with how the iniitial transition has gone.  You can read about our journey if you wish at: www.everydayadventuresof emilyandalyssa.blogspot. com

LOI:  3/17, PA: 3/28
DTC: 8/2, LID: 8/10
LOA: 9/19
I-800: 10/14, PDF: 10/26
Art 5 d/o 10-27 p/u 11-10-11
TA: 11/30
Family Day: 12/18
CA: 12/29
tulip
Steward

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 09:17:16 AM »

FL isn't one of the 27 states with the same ESL standards and tests. But just to reiterate, ESL is federally mandated. If you call the district's ESL director or the ESL teacher at the elementary school you should be able to find out what types of ESL services she'd get if you enrolled her in kindergarten.
Lab Mom
Jester

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 10:58:46 PM »

Your responses were very helpful. Thank you!
Singwith3 - your daughter is precious!! I'll continue to follow your journey. Wish you all the best!
SoccerMom
Forum Moderator
Dragon Slayer

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 08:16:51 PM »

SoccerBaby came home at a physical age of 5, but they had changed her age to 4 (long story).  We kept her 4, and started her in Pre-K.  She struggled during Pre-K, K, and Grade 1; but in Grade 2, she is flourishing.  She does, however, also have high range ADHD.

Just as a guide, she learned English in 3 months; lost her original language as well.  Her emotional age was MUCH YOUNGER than her physical age, and at age 7.5, she is all of 38 lbs. and 44.5 inches.  She's little.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

SoccerGirl - China - 2002
SoccerBaby -  Ethiopia - 2009
SoccerBabyBaby - China - 2013

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: