Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2014, 02:25:51 PM
1344919 Posts in 90449 Topics by 10331 Members
Latest Member: ErnestZenD
Home Blog Help Login Register
chinaadopttalk.com  |  Special Interest Groups  |  Single Parents  |  Nightmares « previous next »

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nightmares  (Read 766 times)
karrie
Jester

Nightmares
« on: January 16, 2012, 06:54:05 PM »

Just wondering if any of you have dealt with frequent nightmares?  My 9 year old DD has nightmares 2-3 times a week.  She doesn't want to talk about them, but I finally got it out of her that it's something bad that happens to me.  I've reassured her and tried to get her mind on "happy thoughts" before bed but they still are happening.  I'm thinking she worries about it more since there is no dad in the picture to take care of her if something were to happen?  Just looking for advice from any BTDT moms.  Thanks!
SoccerMom
Forum Moderator
Dragon Slayer

Re: Nightmares
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 12:07:27 AM »

SoccerGirl will be 10 in February, and we were dealing with this pretty severely about six months ago.  (She's always had pretty severe separation anxiety.)  I ended up speaking with her about what would actually happen to her if something happened to me, who would take her, would she be taken care of, would her sister get to stay with her; and this seemed to help a bit.  The initial conversation was rough, but I know that was part of her fear, not just the thought of being without me, but not knowing what would happen to her.  She seems more secure now knowing that she would be loved and safe and well taken care of.

SoccerGirl - China - 2002
SoccerBaby -  Ethiopia - 2009
SoccerBabyBaby - China - 2013
luckymama2two
Dragon Tamer

Sweet Sisters

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 07:56:31 AM »

My daughter, nearly eight, used to have these types of nightmares, only hers would be about something happening to daddy.  This went on for years, until she and her sister decided they wanted to share a room.  It has been two years now and she has had just a few nightmares, instead of 2-3/week.

DD #1 a. China [Guangxi] March 2005
DD#2 a. Vietnam [Thai Nguyen] June 2008
OTMOM
Steward

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 06:28:23 PM »

I agree with soccer mom about being upfront about your plan if ever something bad were to happen.  That was reassuring to my 9.5 year old as well.  When she was younger and had a few nights of bad dreams we sprayed the room to chase out all bad dreams...Think I used febreeze.
FWIW, both kids are freely allowed back into my bed on the nights that anything disturbing wakes them up.
Good luk

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: